Saturday, January 30, 2010

Our New York Adventure

After a couple of unfortunate blips with luggage, my husband, parents, father-in-law, his girlfriend and I had a great time in NYC. We took in several sights--Ground Zero, 9-11 Memorial, Empire State Building, Statue of Libery, Rockefeller Center and Times Square. We walked along Broadway and tried until the last minute to get Jersey Boys tickets--and found some at almost $300 each. With six of us that was too much. We strode by the former Ed Sullivan/David Letterman Theatre and Radio City Music Hall where Lady Gaga was playing. We drove by Trump Tower and Carnegie Hall and ate a huge sandwich at the Carnegie Deli. (I swear it would easily serve four people.) We dined at the Rock Cafe where we watched ice skaters zoom by as we enjoyed a glass of wine. The three women shopped at Bloomingdale's where a makeup artist told me he was "very concerned about my eyebrows." He immediately grabbed a brush and started adding makeup until my eyebrows appeared thicker and more arched. When he was finished, he told me my new eyebrows made me look ten years younger. Of course, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. We drove by Central Park and visited the Museum of Natural History which is amazing every time I go. The dinosaur exhibits alone take your breath away. You could easily spend two days and never see it all. I took a gazillion pictures. On the last day, my parents and I went to the Today Show and stood in the cold sipping coffee while we watched Kathy Lee and Sharon Osborne, who was filling in for Hoda. We called several people and they could see us on air. I hit the NBC Store and bought a Conan shirt (not a huge fan but feel sorry for him and it may be a collector's item some day). Also bought some 2010 Olympic gear. Drum roll...The big event--the book release for IT ALL CHANGED IN AN INSTANT at the 92nd Street Y was exciting. I was lucky enough to find out right before we left (via an email from the editor of Smith) that one of my New York memoirs was selected as a winner! They chose six winners and I was asked to read mine on stage as well as one of my memoirs from the book. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take pictures in the auditorium. There were about 200 people in attendance. It was great to meet the friendly editors of Smith, Larry and Rachel, and to hear about the background of the six-word memoir project. Also, the impressive speakers talked about the brilliance of brief writing, their magazine or newspaper columns, as well as their own best-selling novels. Larry gave me a Smith tee shirt which I'll wear proudly. My winning NY memoir: "Does the naked cowboy get cold?" They thought that was pretty funny. I've seen the guy several times in NY and he only wears a cowboy hat, boots, and whitey tighties while he plays his guitar. I do have the green light to have a book signing so I'll work on that soon. Thanks for all your support.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip. Can you believe that Frank Sinatra is crooning "Autumn In New York" on my Pandora radio as I'm writing this comment? How apprapro.

    Sounds like you were busy, busy, busy--how exciting. Wonderful contacts and such a feather in your cap! One of six winners--WOW!

    Girl, we are so proud of you and your accomplishments. Looking forward to your book-signing--hope to be first in line (even if I do already have a signed copy).

    Glad you're home again--can't wait to see your pics and hear first-hand all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, you always make me smile. Thank you for that and for your wonderful support. It means so much.

    So cool about that Sinatra song, too. :)

    I'll work on some pictures after JANO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, sounds like you had a great time. I'm so glad your "flu bug" didn't hit while you were there.

    I've never been to NY, but would love to visit sometime. I have famly out there as well.

    SIX winners and you were one of them!!!!!! Now, that is just too cool. I can't wait to see your tee shirt. And be at your book signing. I want my own copy.

    You're making all of us proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend everyone see NYC at least once. My dad couldn't get over how thin everyone was. It's because they WALK everywhere. Also, every cab driver was from a different country--Barbados, Africa, Tibet, Russia, Portugal and many more. So cool.

    Thanks for your sweet support, as always, Shirley. I can't wait to sign your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great trip. I'm so glad grandma and grandpa FINALLY saw NYC!! I'm so proud of you and can't wait to get my signed copy either :) love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, babe. You've always been my biggest cheerleader. I love my daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trip sounds fantastic!
    Did they (SMITH PEOPLE)make a tape of you doing your words on stage?
    Book Signing here YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan, thank you. It was a fun, fast-paced trip. My parents couldn't get over NYC and the traffic. I knew they'd be walking around with their mouths hanging open. It's just so different from the Midwest and so exciting.

    The Smith editors didn't tape us and always have in the past. The theatre didn't allow it, unfortunately.

    Hope you'll attend the signing--possibly in March or April (who knows how long the red tape will take).

    ReplyDelete