Monday, April 16, 2012

Girl Scouts' Six-Word Memoirs - Please Vote!


Recently, I had a book signing at the Believe In Girls Expo to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Girl Scouts. (We promptly went on a two-week vacation the following day, so I'm behind on getting this posted.) One of the activities at my booth was for the Girl Scouts to write a six-word memoir describing why they enjoy this sisterhood.

Nearly 80 Girl Scouts stood at my booth all afternoon, pen in hand, looking upward, shrugging, smiling, and saying how hard it was to write just six words. I overheard one dad telling his daughter, "Just write six words or less." I informed them it had to be six words exactly and explained the six-word memoir project. So, the girls did it. All 78 of them! I've narrowed the entries down to ten finalists. Please help me vote for two winners.

One will receive the book, I CAN'T KEEP MY OWN SECRETS, a six-word memoir book by teens famous & obscure, edited by SMITH Magazine. The other winner will receive a packet of Palace movie tickets. Without further ado, here they are:

"Girl Scouts better than Boy Scouts!" ~ Brianna
"Best memory of my entire life." ~ Emily
"Doing new things with my friends." ~ Kenzi
"Making friends that last a lifetime." ~Amanda
"Nobody can live without cookies, NOBODY!" ~ Dani
"Learning to be a great girl!" ~ Alley
"Girl Scout camping! Fun and Kool!" ~ Kayla
"Camping, friends, 100 years of fun." ~ Kaitlynn
"Thin mints are my favorite cookie." ~ Hannah
"Cooking, camping, cookies, s'mores and friends." ~ Joanna

Aren't they great?! Please vote for your two favorites by Fri., April 27.

Finally, I had a big basket for one lucky winner which included my picture book, nail polish, lip gloss, bookmarks, green and white socks, colored pencils, hair bands, toys and more. The lucky winner was Sierra pictured below. She was a delightful little girl whose dad, Danny, patiently spent the entire day with her around hundreds--possibly a thousand--excited, energetic little girls. She also told me she was going to share the basket contents with her brother. What a sweetie. Congratulations, Sierra!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day and your six-word memoir contest is a great idea! All of the memoirs were clever, but I vote for Brianna! (Hope there isn't a poll--I'm on my iPhone!) :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. No poll. I'll keep track.

    The girls really enjoyed this challenge and were very thoughtful about it. It was so cute. I bought green hands at Staples for them to write on. It was really cute to watch them labor over this.

    Thank you, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beverly Crandell voted for Kenzi and Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to get a good readership for my blog! http://poetryprosepopcorn.blogspot.com/ Please read, comment, subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I don't see a winner posted yet, I'm going with "Learning to be a Great Girl" By Alley

    But they're all GREAT memoirs!

    ReplyDelete