Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Author Swag

While thinking about my upcoming release, THURSDAYS AT COCONUTS, in just over two months (eek!), I'm researching swag to give to readers.

First of all, who knew the title of my novel would narrow this down for me? I certainly didn't plan it that way BUT it's turning out to be very helpful.

I will want a launch party on a Thursday, for sure. That's a given EXCEPT there's one tiny problem. My novel releases on August 13, 2014, which is a Wednesday. I'm torn between having the FB launch on that Wednesday or having it the next day, which is also my birthday. I think it's important to have sales the first day so I may need to stick with Wednesday. But I'll have another launch party on a Thursday when the print books come out.

Secondly, I'm looking for all things coconut! I've found coconut-flavored coffee, scrubs, and soaps for gift baskets and give-aways and am also researching some other fun things. I'll let you know when it's all finalized.

I found some coconut cups similar to those mentioned in THURSDAYS AT COCONUTS. They look a little cheap (plastic) but I may order them anyway because they're so darn cute. Look at the cover above. There's a drink served in a coconut cup--all mixed drinks are. I also found palm tree/coconut pens. The only problem is they aren't imprinted. I suppose I could make labels... I'll order some first to see how they look.

Since I have hippies in my novel, I could incorporate some peace signs and tie-dye. See, how fun this is? And I have a wedding planner, so I could have some romantic give-aways and did order some for my daughter's wedding that weren't used so I'm set with those. There's a lot to consider.

How about you? Do you tie in with your title or the theme of your book? You should! That gives you a starting point and just makes sense. Think outside the box when it comes to author swag. Of course, I still think bookmarks are always handy, and business cards are a must. What are some unique author swag items you've seen?

7 comments:

  1. I love the book cover cookies Jeannie Lin makes. So many great ideas out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound really cute but I like having material that'll last longer than a few bites! Would be good to accompany other swag, though.

      Delete
  2. How about some napkin rings with a tropical design or tropical cocktail napkins. Look at Gordmans. As for me I'm still puzzling over that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always on the lookout. I need to think "What would Beth do?" Would have loved to see those cookies, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cookies would be great for a launch party in addition to a printed memento fans can keep. You should find little red cars, Shirley, similar to the one on the front of ANONYMOUSLY YOURS!! Toy ones would be cute give-aways and look adorable on your book signing table.

      Delete
    2. Everyone should have different swag depending on their genre, characters, title, setting, etc. Just think about your novel in that way and some ideas will come to you. If it's set in a diner, Shirley, how about little menus? Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete